As a limo and car service, the nature of our business tends to leave a larger carbon footprint then others. While we take great measures in making sure our vehicles are as fuel efficient as possible through a rigid maintenance program, big body sedans and SUV's are still a drag on the environment no matter how you look at it.
In order to try and mitigate some of these effects and reduce our footprint, we have decided to push forward with a "paperless office" initiative. Our goal is to completely eliminate our use of paper all together.
We will accomplish this by:
- Requesting e-docs from all of our associates, colleagues, and vendors.
- Utilizing document scanners to store all of our existing paper electronically.
- Converting all ongoing paper correspondence into e-mail.
- Faxed in documents will be transmitted through an "e-fax" service like TrustFax.
- Current paper documents such as employment applications and credit authorization forms will all be completed using PDF programs and Adobe EchoSign technologies.
Read on below to see some of the statistics from epa.gov:
Cutting trees that release oxygen for our environment
- Energy usage and release of harmful gases in pulp and paper industry
- Fuel consumption by air, rail, and road transport distributing reams of paper
- Fuel consumption sending paper documents via ground & air courier services
- Manufacturing printers, ink and toner cartridges
Consider the following facts about the paper and ink industry:
- Paper consumption has tripled since 1960 and Americans generate 85 million tons of paper into the waste stream
- The U.S. pulp and paper industry is the 2nd largest consumer of energy
- EPA estimates that more than 400 million ink and 100 million toner cartridges end up in landfills each year
- The average U.S. officer worker prints 10,000 pages per year
Consider the environmental impact of just 10 million pages:
- 2,500 trees
- 56,000 gallons of oil
- 450 cubic yards of landfill space
- 595,000 KW (kilowatts) of energy
(Data Source: www.epa.gov)
If you're in business, or you're just curious about how you can help and you'd like to become a part of the paperless movement, check out YouTube.com for some great how-to videos on what it takes to get started! De-cluttering is a great feeling!!